These stuffed bell peppers make me feel fan-cy. You know, like I should be wearing white gloves with a huge floppy hat on my head. Very power ladies that brunch. #Poder.
I have been on a mission to incorporate more eggs in my diet. They are affordable, packed with protein, and they are good for you, mijos. I was completely inspired when I came across this recipe from Paleo Leap. Bell peppers for breakfast? ¿Cómo?
Next time you’re in a breakfast rut, try this recipe out! They are pretty darn satisfying for dinner, too, especially when you’re trying to use up leftovers. Trade out any sort of extra veggies you have, and you could totally use bacon or chicken instead of sausage. Make sure to top with lots and lots of sauce and chopped cilantro. It’s the right thing to do.
- 2 red bell peppers, halved, deseeded and cored
- 1 (2-oz) cooked sausage patty, crumbled
- 1 egg, whisked*
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add 1 tbs olive oil to a sauté pan over medium heat. Once hot, add crumbled sausage, spinach, and onion. Sauté ingredients for a few minutes until onion is soft and spinach is wilted.
- Assemble halved bell peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Fill each bell pepper with an equal amount of filling. Set any extra filling aside. Add 1 tbs of whisked egg to each bell pepper, making careful not to spill egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until egg is set.
- While stuffed peppers bake, prepare the sauce. Combine sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor, including any extra filling. Blend/process for a few seconds until sauce reaches preferred consistency.
- Pour sauce over bell peppers and garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
- *Use 2 eggs if bell peppers are on the larger side and increase portion per bell pepper half to 2 tbs.