When was the last time you ate brussels sprouts? These tiny cabbages are roasted until golden brown and then combined with crispy bacon, caramelized onions and mushrooms, and topped with toasted walnuts. What’s not to love? Anyone who claims to not like brussels sprouts has not had it prepared properly! Nothing tastes good that has been boiled to oblivion. So, keep your sprouts away from pots of boiling water, and throw them in the oven coated in some olive oil (coconut oil would also be great) and a pinch of salt. Let the oven do it’s oven duties and get to work on that bacon.
It’s very easy to layer the steps for this recipe. While the brussels sprouts roast, you can render down the bacon and toast the walnuts. Definitely don’t skip toasting the walnuts! Doing this will give them some divine depth of flavor and bring out their essential oils. As soon as the nuts become fragrant, indulge in about a nanosecond of wafting and then take those things off the heat and out of the pan so they don’t burn. Set them aside and wait a hot minute before chopping them up. You could also use pecans here if you like. To render the bacon, just throw it in the pan with the mushrooms and onions and let it cook, making sure to stir the pan occasionally. The bacon has enough fat that you don’t need to add in any oil. As the bacon fat renders, the mushrooms and onions will absorb all the wonderful bacon flavor. This is good!
Also make sure to wait before adding the garlic. Garlic can burn very quickly and will become bitter. It took me about 25 or 30 minutes to get the bacon crispy, so add the garlic in at the very end and it will come out perfect.
By the way, have you had a chance to check out the 24-hour flash sale going on for 14 highly-ranked paleo/primal books? Most of the books are priced at 99 cents, and a few at $1.99 and $2.99. This is the time to stock up your library and maybe purchase a few copies to send to friends and family as gifts! The sale is for the Kindle edition. Even if you don’t have a Kindle, you can read from your tablet, computer, or smartphone (just download the free Kindle app). I love a good deal, so I definitely purchased quite a few to add to my digital library. I’m traveling for Thanksgiving, so I have some good reading material for the trip! Let me know if you pick up any titles!
I will definitely be remaking this dish on Thursday. Enjoy the recipe!
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 2/3 cup cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Chopped parsley or cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Place a large pan over medium heat and combine bacon, mushrooms, onion, and crushed red pepper. Cook until bacon is crispy. Add garlic to pan during last 1-2 minutes of cooking.
- Toast walnuts in a dry pan over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and set aside. Once cool, chop walnuts.
- Add roasted brussels sprouts and chopped walnuts to pan with bacon and vegetables and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.