It’s probably been a hot minute since you’ve had some frijoles refritos. We’ve got the rice situation taken care of with our grocery carts full of cauliflower, but what about the beans? I grew up eating lots and lots of pinto beans. My grandfather would cook pounds of beans…
Why aren’t beans paleo?
The paleo diet eliminates all legumes, which means no more beans. No más. Legumes contain lectins, which are indigestible proteins that bind themselves to your lower intestine, causing all sorts of unpleasantries. Have you heard of leaky gut? Lectins can cause leaky gut syndrome, a condition where your intestinal lining has been compromised, or broken down, allowing toxins and anti-nutrients to promenade in your bloodstream. The immune system then goes Total Recall and begins to attack the identified pathogens. Autoimmune issues begin in the gut, so take care of your gut!
My version of beanless refried beans is made from a very simple zucchini purée. I transfer the zucchini from a saute pan to my Vitamix, but you could also use an immersion blender (just substitute ground chia seeds instead of whole chia seeds). Save up your bacon drippings or use beef tallow to give the purée some delicious flavor. A quick tip to clean out your blender and not waste that last bit you can’t scrape from the bottom and sides of the blender: add about a cup of water to the blender and blend on high. Now you have a sauce! Pour this into an air-tight container and store for another recipe.
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 medium red, white, or yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 medium jalapeño, deseeded and diced
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tbs almond butter
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbs bacon grease or beef tallow
- Shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, pickled jalapeños, and finely diced red onion (for garnish, optional)
- Melt 2 tbs bacon grease or beef tallow in a pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, and zucchini to pan and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add everything to a high-powered blender and mix in remaining ingredients minus oregano. Blend on high for approximately 45 seconds.
- Add oregano to mixture and pulse blender for a few seconds to incorporate.
- Serve and garnish with shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, pickled jalapeños, and finely diced red onion (optional).
- For a vegan option, use olive oil instead of beef tallow/bacon grease and omit cheese.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Yaya Recommended may receive a commission when you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting this site! Read the full disclosure.