Crepes. There was a point in my low-carb life that I figured crepes were just a delicious gluten-filled memory. Well, that memory is alive and well today. No reason to carb-splurge or get sick on a gluten indulgence. I have come up with a crepe recipe that is pretty crepe-tastic. They take a little bit of finesse, but once you get a hang of it, you’ll be producing crepes out of your kitchen like nobody’s business.
The recipe I’m posting today features juicy chicken thigh meat mixed with kale and grilled onions and peppers. I also made the executive decision to indulge in a tiny bit of dairy and added 1 tablespoon of goat cheese to each crepe, because come on, goat cheese. I also find that goat cheese does not seem to make my eczema or psoriasis flare up the way cow cheese does.
Do you see those lovely grill marks on the peppers? You have a few choices here. One is to obviously grill (or roast) the peppers and onions. You could also just completely skip this step. Or you can actually buy frozen fire-roasted peppers and onions. I picked up some bags from Trader Joe’s, and oh my goodness they are perfection. These things are going to take permanent residence in my freezer. Need a quick side dish to anything? Fire-roasted peppers and onions sautéed in some olive oil. It’s that simple.
I wanted a little texture to the crepes, so I stuck them in the oven for 5 minutes at 450°F after I stuffed them. Crepes, I have discovered, are akin to very sophisticated tacos that you eat with a fork and knife. Anything you put in a crepe is going to taste wonderful, and because of the natural sweetness found in coconut, this crepe recipe works well for savory and sweet applications. I get a little lazy and just fold the crepes in half, but if you’re feeling fancy or want to impress your amigos, you can roll them (like enchiladas!) or do all sorts of intricate folding origami-type stuff.
Whatever you do, make sure to make enough to go around! Enjoy the recipe below, and let me know how yours come out!
- 2 paleo crepes
- 1 chicken thigh, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen kale
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped tri-color peppers and onions
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 2 tbs goat cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil, for sautéing
- Fresh parsley and arugula, for garnishing
- Preheat a pan over medium heat with olive oil. Add chopped chicken, kale, peppers, onions, garlic, and spices. Cook until lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Divide filling into two portions and fill each crepe. Add 1 tbs goat cheese to each crepe and fold crepes in half.
- Transfer to a baking pan covered in non-stick foil and bake for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Garnish with fresh minced parsley and arugula leaves.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Yaya Recommended may receive a commission when you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting this site! Read the full disclosure.