It’s very possible that you’ll forget your good manners when you sit down to eat this sauce. It’s that good, and it’s hard to believe that it doesn’t have butter or cream. What sort of sorcery is that, you ask? This sauce is actually made out of some vegan staples: cashews + nutritional yeast!
So, a few years ago, my boyfriend ate a vegetarian/semi-vegan diet (today he eats paleo), and I spent a lot of time figuring out how to make meals that we could both eat together. This is when I discovered nutritional yeast and the amazing transformative power of cashews. Cashews are to the vegan community what cauliflower is to the low-carb community–in a word: magic.
So, why bother figuring out a dairy-free sauce today if we’re not vegan? People who have issues with gluten also quite often have dairy issues as well, which is the case for me. I get terrible eczema + psoriasis flare-ups when I eat dairy, and I have the hands to prove it after indulging way too much last month in goat cheese (sigh) and paneer (double sigh). If you’re still experiencing aches and pains or dermatitis flare-ups even after eliminating gluten from your diet, try cutting out all dairy for at least two weeks and see if any health ailments improve.
I made some “fettuccine” zucchini noodles using my handy-dandy vegetable peeler and tossed the noodles with some of the sauce and chopped parsley. Not pictured is the giant piece of chicken I ate with it! This sauce also goes great with meatballs (get the meatball recipe here). Depending on how saucy you like your noodles + portion sizes, this recipe should yield 4-6 servings.
- Add all ingredients except for chia seeds to a large pot or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Once pan is hot (broth should be lightly bubbling), set timer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn off heat and transfer ingredients to a blender. Add chia seeds and blend on high for about 1 minute, or until sauce is creamy and chia seeds are completely blended.
- Serve sauce over zucchini noodles, chicken, etc.
- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make this recipe vegan.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? MAKE SURE TO PIN IT:
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Yaya Recommended may receive a commission when you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting this site! Read the full disclosure.