The star of this recipe is fenugreek. Fenu-what, you say? You’ll also see it labeled as kasuri methi (or sometimes spelled kasoori, kastoori, or qasoori). However you want to say it, we are talking about dried fenugreek leaves. They are these sweet, licorice-tasting leaves typically used as an herb. Think of how you would normally use parsley, and swap it out for some fenugreek! They will add the perfect combination of sweet and bitter to any dish.
The easiest place to find fenugreek is at an Indian grocer, but you can also pick it up online. You might come across it at a gourmet grocery store, but it will probably be ridiculously priced. I usually get a 3.5 ounce-sized package for a few dollars. It’s not an expensive herb, so don’t buy anything that’s packaged in a tiny tablespoon-sized glass bottle.
There are no measurements for this recipe, because you really should just go wild with the spices. Okay, not too wild, but you want the chicken to be well seasoned. A very good tip is to first season your oil before you put the chicken in the pan. The spices will simmer in the oil and create a nice little spice-bath for your chicken to cook in. For a pound of chicken, you might use about a tablespoon of fenugreek to season both sides. Just sprinkle it on until you’re satisfied. Start off with less if you’re trying it on for the first time.
How about some cumin-flavored cauliflower rice to go with that? Call me when dinner is ready.
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat with olive oil. Liberally season the oil with spices (minus fenugreek) before placing chicken in pan.
- Season top side of chicken with all spices, including fenugreek.
- Cook chicken for 6 minutes, covered lightly with aluminum foil or lid that lets steam escape.
- Flip chicken and season again. Cook chicken for 6 minutes, covered lightly with foil or lid that allows steam to escape.
- Let chicken rest for a few minutes before eating.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Yaya Recommended may receive a commission when you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting this site! Read the full disclosure.