This recipe came to be because of one very specific reason: I bought an entire pound of baby spinach leaves last weekend. That might not sound like a lot, but this is a two-person + 1 cat household. So, this week has served as an unofficial ode to all things spinach, and I have to say, I’m pretty happy with this recipe. It’s quick, healthy, and filling.
The tortilla base recipe is a simplified spin-off from my methi thepla recipe. The chia seeds really help to bind the tortilla together and make it slightly pliable (ie foldable and rollable). The tortilla can be somewhat delicate if you try to flip it before it’s cooked through enough on the first side, so just be patient. Sometimes it takes a few trial runs to really perfect a recipe and get a feeling for the consistency you need, but this is true across the board for gluten-free cooking.
I chose to leave the taco plain, but it would be delicious smothered in some tomatillo salsa or with a side of guacamole. You could also throw in some fresh pico de gallo. Forks are optional (but really, this thing is HUGE, so you might want to grab a fork). Enjoy the recipe!
Interested in other egg-tastic recipes? Check out some of these dishes:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach, julienned
- 2 ounces pepperjack cheese
- 1 tbs grassfed butter
- Garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Place all tortilla ingredients except for oil in a high-powered blender and blend until mixture is smooth.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to a 10" non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add half of mixture to pan and swirl the pan around to spread batter thinly and evenly. Cook for approximately 3 minutes or until tortilla can be easily flipped without tearing.
- While the tortilla is cooking on the first side, prepare the scrambled eggs. Add 1 tbs grassfed butter to a separate non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add eggs, salt, garlic, and scramble. When eggs are almost ready, add spinach and fold in gently.
- Once tortilla is cooked on first side, gently flip it and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove tortilla from pan and repeat process with second half of mixture.
- Stuff each tortilla with equal portions of scrambled eggs and top eggs with 1 oz each of pepperjack cheese. Fold tortillas in half and serve.
- Recipe yields 2 tacos.